The Israeli army on Wednesday said it struck Hezbollah observation posts in Lebanon after Israeli troops near the border came under fire overnight.
The army said Israel Defence Forces deployed attack helicopters and other aircraft in the operation, and fired off dozens of illumination rounds and smoke shells.
Residents in Southern Lebanon said dozens of flares were fired by Israel on areas in Mais al Jabal and Houla.
The Hezbollah-run al Manar Television said Israeli artillery shelled both areas.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement Israel will respond forcefully to any attacks against it.
“I suggest to Hezbollah that it does not try Israel’s crushing force. Hezbollah is again endangering the state of Lebanon because of its aggression,” Netanyahu said.
The Israeli army said it holds the Lebanese Government responsible for all events emanating from Lebanon. No Israeli troops were injured in the border gunfire.
Israel recently increased its troop presence at the border and had been anticipating a revenge attack by Hezbollah after the army reportedly unwittingly killed one of its members in Syria several weeks ago.
The incident occurred during an airstrike outside the Syrian capital of Damascus that destroyed an arms depot.
Hezbollah Chief Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah, promised to revenge and there had since been two other attempted attacks along the border, which Israeli commentators believed Hezbollah was responsible.
Israel and Lebanon are still officially at war and there are recurring tensions along the border between the Israeli army and Hezbollah.
According to the Israeli army,
Hezbollah has about 130,000 missiles. It has repeatedly launched attacks from Lebanon against Israel.
Israel regularly strikes Iranian and Hezbollah targets in Syria and Lebanon.
Hezbollah is labelled a terrorist organisation by several countries, including the U.S. and Germany.